- If leaders remember that churches formed each association to be a help to them in advancing the Gospel. Is that still your purpose?
- If Associational Mission Strategists (AMSs) are well-respected, growing leaders. Are you still growing as a servant leader? Leaders are readers/podcast listeners.
- If Pastors and churches are committed to the work of the association. Are a number of your Pastors and churches committed to the work of the association? The AMS cannot do the work - and should not do the work - alone.
- If the value of the association is highlighted. Are you – and others – celebrating what God is doing and its value to the kingdom?
- If the association is well-funded. People give to vision, not need. Is your association’s vision worthy of a church giving 1-3% to associational missions?
- If the association is a Gospel-driven association of churches. Some associations are personality or program driven. Is your association Gospel-driven?
- If the AMS focuses on relationships, relevance, and resilience. Relationships are to the AMS ministry as Location is to real estate. Are you meeting the needs of your pastors and churches and community?
- If the AMS serves as a curator of content for his pastors and church leaders. Read widely, listen to podcasts, and curate the content and present it to your pastors/leaders in bite-size chunks that they can handle.
- If the AMS is himself – comfortable in his own skin – and operates out of his God-given gifts and the way God has shaped him rather than trying to be someone he is not. Don’t try to be someone you are not. Be who God made you to be. Do you know your spiritual gift or gifts? Are you operating out of that gift or gifts?
- If the AMS and the association are committed to love, serve, and support any church that falls within your Statement of Faith and desires to be in the association and the Convention.
- If the AMS understands he is a Leader of Leaders, yet appreciates the autonomy of the local church. If no one is following, you are not a leader. Lead in the way you believe the Lord wants you to lead, and leave the results in God’s hands.
- If the AMS is a Mission Strategist – one who thinks strategically about his mission-field and leads his pastors to do likewise. The AMS must be invested – as well as at least 20-25% of his Pastors. The AMS generally does the heavy-lifting of mission/vision/strategy, and gets buy-in and ownership from the key leaders and the rest of the association. The AMS should work with the willing. There will always be some pastors and church leaders who will not work with you. Don’t focus on them, but love them.
Your brother in Christ,
Quotable Quote: The people who achieve extraordinary results don’t achieve them by working more hours. They achieve them getting more done in the hours they work.” – Gary Keller, quoted by Trevin Wax, 5.4.21, 10 of my Favorite Quotes on Writing